It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ring and pinion install
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:52 pm 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a reputable person or shop who could swap my diff, ring, and pinion for me.

I still might do it myself, but would like to have this as an option if I don't have enough time to do it myself.

Thanks,
MikeB

Profile Send private message  View user's Garage  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Wow... man... that is one task I would not try to do myself. You can really mess things up if you don't know what you are doing. Not saying you don't, but if you are at all sketchy on this, you can destroy a lot of money by trying it yourself.

There is a shop here in Frederick (actually closer to Thurmont) called Frederick Performance (straight up 15). They can do it, and just about anything else you need done. I had them build my driveline.

Frederick Performance Center
6830 Putman Rd # F
Thurmont, MD 21788
(301) 898-9870

Profile Send private message E-mail  View user's Garage  

Post subject: you recommend them
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:50 pm 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Clint,

I don't think it's that difficult - done it before, it's just time consuming and labor intensive.

So you would recommend these people?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikeb356 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Yeah... they are heavy in performance work, and I have had work done by them.

The task isn't physically hard, but it takes a good bit of knowledge to do it right. To set the lash correctly and get the shims set properly is not for someone like me that has limited experience. I have assisted in doing it, and I can tell you that it can be done wrong very easily. And I have seen the results of several done wrong. Chewed up gears, bent drive lines and exploded tranny tail shafts.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin
1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Auto & Light Truck Repairs
Don Leonard
6338 Davis Road
Mt. Airy, MD 21771
301-831-7977
Specializes in Muscle car and Street Rods
Call for prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:33 am 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Thanks for the references folks.

I did it myself, but it's nice to have the contacts for future work.

John McBeth suggested that we perhaps start a location on this site for references for things like paint and body work, machine shop, etc. Sounds like a good idea

Post subject: Ring & Pinion swap, 12-bolt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:02 pm 
Member (non-voting)

I found this site while looking for information on swapping out the ring and pinion set. I have a 12-bolt Nova rear that has a 3.73 new gear set. I want to drop it down to 3.43 or 3.08. I have a 1968 Firebird 400 that I am restoring this will go in. The open BOP 8.2 is too fragile for my future plans.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has actually had a gear swap from the two shops mentioned in this discussion. What does this work cost? I've also considered doing this work myself. I figure I could get it right if I spend the time checking the pattern. But I don't own the tools needed to r & r the pinion bearings. I'm not sure my crowded garage need another one-use tool.

One more question. Of the manufactures on the market, who makes the best gear set for this swap?

Larry

Profile Send private message   

Post subject: tools
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:55 pm 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Not really any special tools needed for this. If you already do all of the work yourself on your car, most of the tools you should have. The only special thing you need to have is a setup bearing and I had Guy at Mancini Machine make one for me - simple. Other stuff includes an inch-lb torque wrench, arbor with bearing puller, dial indicator, .001 increment caliper or mic, and an impact wrench. Since I don't have a compressor, I picked up an impact wrench from Harbor Freight for $30. I bought an inexpensive beam style inch-lb torque wrench from a bicycle shop for about $20. A lot less money than paying someone to do it. I also know it was done right and I got a couple extra tools to boot :-)

M

Post subject: Re: Ring & Pinion swap, 12-bolt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:22 am 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

tired68 wrote:
One more question. Of the manufactures on the market, who makes the best gear set for this swap?

Larry

I've never used aftermarket gears so I have no recommendations. I've always been able to source a slightly used or NOS GM gearset for my projects.

Team Camaro would be a good website to solicit some opinions from people regarding aftermarket suppliers. Richmond seems to be pretty popular, but like I said, I've never used them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:24 pm 
Member (non-voting)

Thanks for the help Mike. I would like to do this myself, even if I have to spend the same amount on tools. I don't have a bearing splitter or a press. I think I have or can make the rest of the things I need for the job. I follow Camros.net too. BigGearHead who did this sort of stuff for a living announced he was moving on. He had experience with which gear sets installed with no issues or noise. It seems like he said some ratios were different than others for some reason. I'm looking at 3.42 or 3.08 and I don't find any comments on either of these ratios. There aren't enough choices for these cruising gears.

I had Mancini swap transmission bearings out for me in a TH400 a while back. His shop is amazingly clean and organized. What did it cost for him to make a setup bearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)
1969 Chevrolet Camaro

Larry,

I think Freddie (BGH) is now recommending the 3.31 gearset for cruising. It wasn't available for some time and now there is someone producing them but I'm not sure who. The folks on camaro.net would probably know who the manufacturer is. This is a nice gearset to use with an M20 which has a 2.52 first gear.
Lot's of suppliers also make 3.08 gears for a 3-series 12 bolt axle. What trans / gearing are you planning on using? This is important regarding the ring and pinion you select.

Guy made my setup bearing as a freebie. He did it in about 10 minutes. I gave him a new bearing and he put it on the connecting rod machine and took .001 off the ID. I can't imagine him charging you more than about 5-10 bucks. That reminds me... I want to get a 2008 calender from him :-)

Anyway, if you plan on doing this yourself and need some help, feel free to contact me.

-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:30 pm 
Member (non-voting)

I have a TH400 automatic with gearing of 2.52, 1.52 and 1:1. I expect to be running 225 or 235/60-15 tires. I'm swapping out the Pontiac open rear for a 12-bolt from a first generation Nova. The guy I picked the rear up from had gone through it with new gears, bearings and a new Eaton posi. He put on disc brakes too, cinching the deal. He was going to race it when a completed Nova turned up. So he had put in 3.73 Richmond gears that have never been used. I don't think that would be highway friendly on a Pontiac 400 or stroked to 462.

I figured 3.31 would be perfect, but I don't find any aftermarket sources for that gear set. Looking at four catalogs online again last night, I find only 3.08 and 3.42.

I'm still repairing body rust and rot, so the rear gear swap isn't an urgent concern. I'm still collecting parts while I teach myself these sheet metal repairs. I'll need to find a shop to build a shorter driveshaft too. I think I need a 1344 at the front and 1310 at the back. The Chevy rear has the pinion around 1" forward, so I'll need a new driveshaft.

I'll keep looking for a 3.31 set to turn up on eBay. It's funny how some axles have a wide selection of gear sets while others have such a limited choice. I would have thought it would just be a matter of running the CNC program on the machines to satisfy the market, but the choices seem so limited. In Pontiac 10 bolt, there's nothing below 3.55. So far, I've not found 3.31 that fits the 8.875 Chevy rear.

Where are you Mike? I"m twenty minutes South of Frederick. If you're nearby, We could empty a few beers one evening.