Maryland Camaro Club

Maryland Camaro Club Forums
Win Kelley Chevrolet
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Car won't crank
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:17 pm 
I got an 01 Camaro that won't crank at all. I got a new starter (3rd one), new battery, new positive battery cable with clean connections everywhere, 12 volts at the battery, and also at the starter while attempting to crank. When I tried using a screwdriver at the battery on both the IGN and BATT posts, all I get is a spark and, from what my wife says, "activity in the cabin of the car" i.e. the clock turns on and the gauges twitch. When I try and use the key, everything is normal until I turn the key all the way forward. When I do this, all the gauges drop like there is no battery juice, but the battery is still registering 12V.

The starter is a Power Master (PN 9509), clockable starter, and as I have said before, this is the third one, because based off of what I have been told by others, if I get 12V to the starter and it don't crank, then its a bad starter. I am starting to think that that isn't the case.

Any ideas? This is the third weekend in a row I have been tinkering with this issue. It is starting to get old! :x

View user's Garage  

Post subject: Re: Car won't crank
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 pm 
Board Member
Board Member
1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Hi Keith,

I would say that with everything you have done it could be one of three things. It might be the ignition switch or very possibly the chip in your key is bad. If the chip in the key is bad your car will not going to turn over. All the gauges will come on in the ACC position but with the chip not completing the circuit the car won’t turn over.

The last thing I would check, if your car is an automatic, would be the gear indicator switch. If the switch isn’t telling the computer that the car is in park or neutral the car will not turn over.

Good Luck and I hope this helps out.

Keith J

2007 Trailblazer SS - LS2

Profile Send private message  View user's Garage  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I have tried two different keys. Also, sometimes the starter will give a single clank when I turn the key...most of the time it doesn't do anything though. And the car is a 6-speed.

View user's Garage  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:20 am 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)

My 69 Camaro kept going through starters. The starter housing kept cracking until I put a brace on the front end of the starter (the end opposite the flywheel). It would start for awhile and then make a loud bang and then do what yours is doing. When the nose housing cracks, it throws the alignment off and binds when trying to start.

Yours might also be an electrical problem which can be very frustrating trying to debug. Does the ground wire terminal get warm when try to crank the starter? If so, one of the cables is not conducting enough amps. Maybe try replacing the ground cable since you have replaced just about everything else. I have also had problems where the negative cable went bad and you could not tell from looking at it.

Good Luck.

John S.

69 Z28 Cortez Silver
X77D80
Bel Air

Profile Send private message E-mail   

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 am 
MCC Member (voting)
MCC Member (voting)

I am not sure about the T-56, but the Tremec TKO's have a faulty neutral safety switch. The switch that comes with the tranny is incapable of handling the current produced by the starter system of my 1st gen. Again, I am not sure about the T-56. It does sound like it's either an ignition switch or a try the clutch safety switch. If you have to have the clutch depressed to start the car, then there is a switch on the clutch pedal. Take a look at that switch.

Profile Send private message E-mail