Maryland Camaro Club Forums
Win Kelley Chevrolet
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Networking on 3rd Gen Repair
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 pm 
Member (non-voting)

Hello everyone!

I'm new here to MCC, so here's a bit of background on what I'm working with right now:

I'm in in my mid twenties and after saving up for a bit I bought the IROC i've always lusted after since I was a kid.

As you all know, its damn near impossible to find one of these cars - especially in the NorthEast - not either completely rusted, gutted, or halfway to a junkyard. Anyway, long story short, after searching for a whole summer, I found one for a good price, in running condition, 5 speed, clean looking 305, with a rust free body and great paint, with a well preserved interior.

Predictably, after driving it back to my garage before I could even get it up on a lift I started seeing smoke coming from the engine area.

The issue I'm having is I want to identify where the smoke is coming from - if it's the engine or a coolant leak - but I dont want to run the engine in fear of cracking a gasket (if it hasn't already, which it probably has).

I picked up the car for a good price (which makes sense now that I see the smoke) so I'm prepared to but some into it to get it road ready.

My question for you all is - does anyone know of a good mechanic that works on these cars? I dont want to take into a dealership or corporate repair shop and have someone do all the work for me and charge 2 times what I paid for it.

My aim is to work on this with someone - gain some experience doing engine work and what not. I've worked on cars before doing the basics - changing fluids and oil, replacing misc parts, but have no experience doing engine work. I'd like to be able to take this car somewhere and work on it with someone and get my hands dirty, so I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks in advance!

- Andrew

Profile Send private message E-mail